Thank you, Oregon Berries, for sponsoring this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are truly my own.
Broccoli salad has always been one of my favorite side dishes! I love everything about it, especially the sweet and savory combo, and of course that creamy dressing that brings everything together!
Even though I love this dish, I’ve been wanting to find a way to make it dairy-free so that my vegan friends would be able to enjoy it at our next gathering, so I experimented with a few recipes and came up with this delicious Simple Vegan Blackberry Broccoli Salad!
This dish has all the flavors of the traditional broccoli salad, but it’s sooo much better thanks to my special blackberry vinaigrette! I love using blackberries in my sweet or savory recipes because it adds just the right amount of sweetness and so much nutritional goodness too!
Did You Know…???
- Oregon is the ideal growing environment for berries: soil, air, water. It’s true! Oregon’s family farms grow exceptional, consistent high quality blackberries and raspberries!
- Blackberries contain a great amount if Vitamin C, which is crucial for building and maintaining strong bones. Vitamin C also helps your body absorb iron and can speed up the healing process.
- Blackberries may contribute to brain health. Blackberries get their dark, rich color from anthocyanins, which are compounds that may protect the brain from oxidative stress and reduce the effects of conditions like dementia.
- Blackberries contain high levels of antioxidants which help to fight free radical damage in the body.
This recipe was super easy to put together, and the best part is that required ZERO cooking! I started by making my simple blackberry vinaigrette. You can choose to use fresh or frozen blackberries. I used fresh blackberries in this recipe, but I usually keep a few bags of frozen Oregon blackberries on hand. I love using Oregon berries because they are picked at the peak of ripeness and frozen within 24 hrs of being picked. This helps to lock in that delicious taste, juiciness and nutrition! You can read more about Oregon berries at www.oregon-berries.com.
Once my vinaigrette was ready, I combined the rest of my ingredients in a large bowl and poured in the blackberry vinaigrette. I tossed all of the ingredients and seasoned it with salt/pepper to taste. For best results, I recommend putting it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving.
For a little extra treat, you can place a few additional blackberries and nuts on top for your guests to enjoy! For more fun blackberry facts and recipes, visit www.oregon-berries.com .
Simple Vegan Blackberry Broccoli Salad
- 1 and ½ cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups carrots shredded
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 small purple onion chopped
- ¼ cup pecans
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Optional: additional blackberries pecans, & almonds for garnish
Place blackberries and apple cider vinegar in a blender and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
Add broccoli, carrots, raisins, onions, pecans, and almonds to a large bowl. Pour blackberry mixture on top and toss until all ingredients are combined. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
If desired, place additional blackberries, pecans, & almonds on top before serving. Enjoy!
*For best results, place salad in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving.